Saturday, November 11, 2006

NFL Week 10: The Carnage Continues

The Dolphins crush the Bears. Tom Brady throws 4 picks. Just two of the bigger proof points from Week 9 that the NFL is pure madness this year. I went 5-9 on the week, bringing the yearly total to 51-58-5. Lots of work to do to get back to .500 or above.

Here are my quick-hit thoughts on each game. As always, be careful out there.

Baltimore (-7) @ Tennessee: Two forces colliding here. The Titans got slammed last weekend against Jacksonville, and will be out to show people that they're not as bad as they looked. They probably don't want to go through a week of practice like they just had ever again. One question for you though - name three offensive starters on the Titans. Not easy is it? On the other side of the ball, it's the return of Steve McNair and the Ravens D is its old, terrifying self. Take the Ravens and the points.

@Indianapolis (-12) vs. Buffalo: This could be a letdown game for the Colts after last week's big win against the Patriots, but I don't think so. Indy is on a roll, and they'll keep rolling over the McGahee-less Bills. By the end of this one, you'll know the Bills DB's names by heart.

@Atlanta (-8) vs. Cleveland: I keep getting the Falcons wrong, but that means I'm also due. Atlanta is clearly a better team than the Browns, and all you need to know is that it's Mike Vick vs. Charlie Frye. 'Nuff said.

Green Bay (+5.5) @ Minnesota: An old-time Norris Division battle. Minnesota's hard to figure - they seemed to be in a groove before the Patriots gutted them, and they've been circling the drain since. All I know about Green Bay is they've got Favre and Green, and rookie LB A.J. Hawk looks like the real deal. I'll go with the Packers and the points, but proceed with caution.

@Jacksonville (-10) vs. Houston: The Jaguars are slowly forming into a force to be reckoned with in the AFC. QB David Garrard gives them a different look than Byron Leftwich, and time will tell if Jack Del Rio is in the midst of making a change. Bottom line: Jacksonville is solid on both sides of the ball, and they'll be looking to avenge that horrendous 27-7 loss to the Texans a couple weeks back.

@Miami (-1) vs. Kansas City: Man, the Dolphins actually looked like a team last weekend against the vaunted Chicago Bears. Funny what a little pressure on the QB will do for both the defense and the offense. Ronnie Brown should slice and dice again, and while LJ will get his fantasy points, Miami's defense will stand tall. I'm going with the Dolphins.

@New England (-10.5) vs. NY Jets: The Patriots should lay the hammer on the Jets this weekend, solidifying their grip on the AFC East. The last time these two met New England raced out to a big lead and then let the Jets back into the game on some ridiculous catch and runs by their receivers. If memory serves correctly, Pennington could have won the game with a successful Hail Mary at the end. Different story this time as Pats roll. (TV, 1:00, CBS)

San Diego (-1) @ Cincinnati: All the makings of a good game. An absolute must-win for the Bengals, who can't risk falling any further behind the front-running Ravens. They've been schizophrenic all year long, and all I can tell you is that I've started Jon Kitna over Carson Palmer in my fantasy league two weeks in a row. San Diego is the better team, and while the Bungles might get some juice from the hometown crowd, I'm sticking with the hot Chargers, who also are looking to keep pace with Denver.

@Detroit (-6) vs. San Francisco: The Mike Martz Effect is starting to pay some small dividends for the long-suffering Lions. Don't get me wrong - they're no threat come playoff time, but they can give opposing defenses fits, and it says here the Niners will have a tough time containing Kitna, Kevin Jones, Roy Williams, et al. Lay the points with the Lions.

@Philadelphia (-7) vs. Washington: See the Atlanta reference above. The other time that I just cannot get right to save my life this year is the Eagles. Donovan McNabb looks like a worldbeater one week, and then Tony Eason the next. The egg they laid against the Jaguars two weeks back was putrid. And of course, I'm going with them again this week because I'm a sucker. Andy Reid did not lose his coaching skills overnight. Joe Gibbs may be heading back to NASCAR-land soon.

@Oakland (+9) vs. Denver: My what the hell pick for the week. I think Denver wins, but I'll take the points with the Raiders playing in their madhouse. I know Andrew Walter is still their QB, but their defense has been coming on of late and the Broncos aren't really scary against good D's.

New Orleans (+5.5) @ Pittsburgh: I don't understand why the Steelers continue to be Vegas' darling. They haven't shown anything for about a month now, and they're still favored every week. I realize this is a huge, must-win game for them - at home - but I'm going with the resurgent Saints to at least cover and possibly steel away with a victory. (TV, 4:15, FOX)

Dallas (-6.5) @ Arizona: Watch, this will be the game that Edge breaks out and displays his old skills. For such a loud free agent pickup, he's been awfully quiet. The Cowboys lost a heartbreaker last weekend but they'll pick their game up in the desert. Romo leads them to a must-have win.

St. Louis (+3) @ Seattle: Another pick going against the grain and Seattle's best-in-the-league home field advantage. Seneca Wallace may have a cool name, but he's no Matt Hasselbeck. The Seahawks encountered a battle Monday night against the Raiders. The Rams should put up a better fight.

@New York (E) vs. Chicago: Should be a doozy. The weather forecast is calling for wind and rain in the Meadowlands Sunday night, which could mean a low-scoring affair. I think the Giants take this one. Tiki will control the clock and the Giants may have learned a little something from Nick Saban's defensive playbook last Sunday against Rex Grossman. Pressure him and he becomes a smaller, Jewish version of Drew Bledsoe. (TV, 8:15, NBC)

@Carolina (-9.5) vs. Tampa Bay: What gives with the lame Monday night matchups the last two weeks? Is it next Sunday yet? I'll go with the Panthers against the rookie QB. Can't wait to hear which guys are on Tony Kornheiser's fantasy team.

If you're one of the few hearty souls who read this through, do yourself a favor and pick the exact opposite. Happy Sunday.

Comments:
I thought I'd log on and find out what games are on tv and where i can watch the Gaints-Bears game in the Bean and all I get is blah, blah, blah, I can't pick a winner, blah, blah, blah, I got a sunburn, blah, blah, blah, my knee hurts, blah, blah, blah, my buddies are leaving coments on my blog when they're drunk and stoned, blah, blah, blah. i'm taking it to skippy tomorrow.
 
p.s. check out my blog at www.imanasshole.com
 
You're such a butt-plug. Call me when you wake up, at around 4 p.m. or so. You drunkard.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?